Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup Fever? - 2

Okay, perhaps not fever, more of slight cold. A 1-1 draw was a fair result in my opinion. As one of the commentators said here, "It was a game of two goalkeepers".

Just minutes before Robert Green's Under-9s-style blunder, I happened to say to Gail, "I'm so pleased that Green (ex Norwich City) has been given a chance - I saw him play against Great Yarmouth Town Youth in the mid-nineties and was very impressed even then!" Well, that will teach me to keep my mouth shut - although I doubt it.

One glaringly obvious point about the game was that the USA did play like a team, whereas England played like a load of prima-donas. That will need sorting out before the next game if the banana skin is not slipped on.

I read where in England, ITV audiences actually missed "the" goal whilst commercials were shown. How ironic, that here in the US, where generally, commercials rule, both halves of the game were commerical free. Excellent coverage by ESPN, although I wasn't too impressed with the "Brits versus Yanks" phrase which was repeatedly trotted out. I must remind those here that the "Brits" (Oh, how I hate that term) haven't got a soccer team - there were no Scots, Welsh or Irish playing - it's ENGLAND! And what's more, it's like a red rag to a bull for a Southerner to be called a Yank.

No comments: