Thursday, October 22, 2009

At last, another post


I've just realized it's over a month since my last post. It's not that nothing has happened worthy of posting, indeed just the opposite.

With colder nights, including some which resulted in early frosts, our thoughts have been with those who have no homes. Gail and I have gradually become more aware of our good fortune in having a roof over our heads and food in the pantry, something which many do not have. This can be for a multitude of reasons, which, to be fair, many of us cannot (or do not want to try) to understand.

I've started a new project. Gail was given a Singer treadle sewing machine, a model similar to the one she learned to sew on by her mother. She has been hankering after one of these for some time, not only as a "piece of furniture" but for a more practical reason - she has never really got on with electric sewing machines. We had looked at previously "restored" models for which the sellers were asking ridiculous prices as well as wrecks which would be beyond my capabilities of restoring. This one, built in 1910, is a little beauty, it's just in need of some TLC. I spent ages on the Internet researching the practicalities of restoring it before coming to the conclusion that, "Hey! I can do that". It will not look like new (I've watched too many "Antiques Roadshows" to fall for that), but will, I hope, look like it has been well used in it's nearly hundred years, but also lovingly cared for. Long story short (that's a first for me) - I'm hooked! I have, however, made a huge mistake - that is I didn't take a "before" photograph. As it is now all in pieces, it's a mistake I regret, but I'm going to have to live with. At least we can remember what it looked like.

I appreciate that blogs can only be of interest if (a) they have something interesting to say; and (b) they are updated regularly. I cannot help it if the former is not to every one's taste, but I'm going to make more effort to make sure that latter happens. There - it's in writing.

And for the record - Gail's Doll House is still "work in progress" (albeit slowly).

No comments: