Friday, July 10, 2009

Decisions, decisions - part 2

As mentioned in the previous post, decisions are made virtually every second of our lives. Even when we sleep decisions are made which effect our lives.

Before completing my apprenticeship I had already made a decision to leave my "master" on becoming a journeyman. In fact I had already secured a new position three months before my signing off. I felt I needed more experience and started in August 1965 at the well established book printing company of Page Bros (Norwich) Ltd. I had been promised a job as a Monotype keyboard operator, something I had started at Norwich City School of Art Printing Department.

Joining a much larger company was daunting, but I was welcomed by a brotherhood of printers and made lifetime friends, many of whom still live in Norwich and correspond regularly. As printing technology developed, from letterpress to offset lithography to digital, I and my co-workers developed with it, ever learning new skills.

Taken in 1974 probably during a 12 hour late shift at the MonoPhoto Mk V keyboard. Like the 70s style?

My point is that the decision to join this company, which was founded over 260 years ago and still going strong, was another great one. I retired early in 2000 after enjoying 35 years of working there and 40 years in the printing trade. I can count on one hand, well okay, maybe two, the number of times I woke up and thought "I don't really fancy going into work today", even during some scary winter snow storms, on my 17-mile commute along country roads.

I feel blessed that I was fortunate in making the correct decision for me, and as it turned out, for my family.

The next life-changing choice was made in 1968, but that's another story.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Thanks for part 2. I bet I can guess what the next big decision was!