Thursday, February 26, 2009

Time flies

It's one week since I lasted posted. Where did that week go? I woke up recently to realize that I'm not just a grandfather of four wonderful girls, but am now a granddad to an adult, as our eldest has just turned eighteen!

It seemed like only yesterday that we visited our daughter and our first grandchild in the maternity ward - come to think of it it doesn't seem that long since I was feeling faint watching the birth of our own daughter!

More concerning is that in a couple of months I will reach the official retiring age (UK). Is it really nearly nine years since I took early retirement? I'm so glad I did.

At church on Sunday our deacon was saying how Lent has arrived seemingly "hot on the heels" of Christmas. I find it amazing that we are now into the "purple patch" (as one friend calls Lent, purple being the color of church vestments for this season). We enjoyed a real treat on Shrove Tuesday, when students from Duke University Episcopal Center cooked our traditional pancake supper. A big thank you to them and their Chaplain Karen.

Ash Wednesday has come and gone and we are now into the 40 days - 46 in fact, but Sundays are not fast days, which is good for me as I've given up desserts and after-dinner snacks - that's going to be a tough one. Watch this space - I will report on my progress.

No comments: