Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Our Americanization?


Since posting my first blog I have a couple of comments from English friends who, quite understandably, think I should anglicize my postings. One didn't like me using sidewalk or cellphone as opposed to pavement or mobile phone. I have explained that our American friends know the pavement as the actual "paved" roadway, so to them it would make no sense and at least the English are familiar with sidewalk through American literature, movies, TV shows, etc.
As for cell phone versus mobile phone, I happen to think that the former describes it perfectly - a phone which works by using a cellular transmission system, whereas the latter describes any phone that is mobile. Even my land line phone is in fact mobile.
I have two main reasons for using American terms:
(1) We have American friends as well as English who will likely read this blog.
(2) We live here now and although we are English born, we do try to fit in (the main English opposition to immigrants in England is that "they don't fit in") and are proud to, so I suppose we are becoming Americanized.
Mind you, as much as we love Southern cooking (I love grits, iced tea and biscuits) we do miss some very English culinary delights. For example, a friend recently brought us some Sainsbury's battenburg cake from a trip to London and this very morning I purchased Birds Custard Powder and some Marmite at the international section of our grocery store (they even stock Branston Pickle) and even though we drink plenty of coffee (not instant) we still enjoy our Tetley British Blend cuppas.
For all the things our great nations have in common, it IS different here and thank the Lord for that.

2 comments:

Lyn F. said...

I suppose then if I need Brit-pickers for any Harry Potter fan fiction I write, I know exactly who to turn to. *grins*

You should pop over to Southern Season at U-Mall in Chapel Hill. Just in case you decide to indulge in McVitie's Digestives and Hob-nobs, etc.

Regarding the Americanization theme: my parents had the same dilemma when they immigrated to the US nearly 40 years ago. My brother and me, having been raised in the the US, were exposed to both Filipino and American cultures, and we feel all the richer because of it.

So don't be too quick to assimilate and lose your cultural identity. It's a part of who you are. My Californian friends who are living in other states always say: You can take the {boy/girl} out of California, but you can't take California out of the {boy/girl}.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

My previous bishop was just mentioning his love for Marmite online. *shudder* I love the English (and weird vegan Americans, which is what he is), but I don't get how y'all can eat Marmite! :-)

Pax tecum,
-C